Foundation Stage 2
New starters in Reception playing and Learning
Welcome to Park Primary School! When your child joins Reception class we’ll quickly get into an enjoyable routine that starts the learning journey in school. Children register themselves, choose their lunch and join us on the carpet for a chat.
Throughout the day children will have the opportunity to choose what activity they want to do, inside or outside (as long as the weather permits), but sometimes we’ll have organised lessons where the class sits as a group to work together.
We believe that as practitioners, children learn best through play and active learning, therefore we try and make our topics as fun and interesting as possible, so that all children are engaged, interact with the tasks and opportunities presented and learn.
As well as sending home homework tasks and reading books, it’s also helpful to discuss your child’s day with them, engage with them and show interest in their schooling. You’ll find that your interest will help to keep them interested too, and to keep them learning once school is over.
By the end of the Reception year most children will be able to do basic reading, writing and maths. We’ll also learn about the world around us and get used to following rules, being polite and being friendly towards each other.
This is just the beginning for your child and our job is to make sure they both enjoy it and get the preparation required for a fulfilling future in education.
- This half term our topic is all about Minibeasts. We will be looking at different types of Minibeasts and their habitats from a range of books but themed around The Hungry Caterpillar and Superworm. The children will become explorers in our environmental area to see what Minibeasts they can find in our school grounds.
- PE dates are now: - Miss Farrar’s class every Monday - Mr Pritchard’s class every Thursday Please can we ask that your child brings their full PE kit to school on their PE day. PE clothes are black shorts/leggings, white tshirt and trainers. All PE clothes need to be clearly labelled.
- Stay and Read will continue to be held every Wednesday morning till 9:15am
- Reception’s class assembly will be on Tuesday 1st May at 2:45pm
- Visiting the Wheatley Community Library has been a great success! We will continue to visit the library every few weeks to read and share new books. If any parents would like to volunteer to come with us, please let your child’s class teacher know.
- Art club will be starting again on Tuesday 17th April 3:15-4:15pm. Your child will have received a letter confirming their place and names will also be put on the classroom doors for parents to check. Please can we remind you that spare clothes will need to be provided and to be kept in a spare bag. Thank you!
- Sports club will start Monday 16th April and continue every week thereafter. PE clothes will need to be brought every week – clearly labelled. Sports club will run from 3:15-4:15pm.
- Please can we remind you that Foundation Stage children have the opportunity to ‘free flow’ between the classrooms and the outside area. Due to our unpredictable weather could you please ensure children are wearing appropriate clothing. Also, please provide your child has spare clothing as they may get messy/wet.
In Reception, we take every opportunity to celebrate important or interesting events, such as Chinese New Year, Easter and Halloween as well as baking cakes and trying new fruit. To help us do this, we ask for a voluntary “Baking and Making” contribution of £3 every half term to cover the cost of buying the ingredients and decorations for your children to eat and enjoy.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to come and speak to either Mr Pritchard or Miss Farrar in the morning or afternoon and we will be more than happy to help. We look forward to seeing you in September and hope you have a lovely summer break.
The Reception Team.